Learn efficiently and remember over time.
Start Long-Term Learning
Add this set to a folder
Describe the Gede
1. A vodou rite and lwa of life and death.
2.As decider of life and death, Gede are seen as good and bad.
3.Gede lwa are cold, when they possess people they warm themselves up by rubbing hot pepper on their bodies, faces. And drink 21 pepper infused rum.
4.White powder of their face.
5. Mischievous and obscene.
6.They are the protector of children
7.Can heal you if you are near death.
8.Called last during vodou ceremonies.
Most notable members of the Gede family.
1. lwa who rules grossroads and paths, as the guardian of all entries.
2. Legba is served in the Danwonmen, Kongo, Nago, Petwo, Zando and in particular Rada rites.
3. One of the most important lwa in vodou mythology because he allows humankind to communicat with God and all other lwa.
4. Many Vodou followers identify Legba with Saint Lazarus.
5.Old man with a beard and white hair who is leaning on a crutch and whose wounds are liked by stray dogs.
6.Smokes a long terracotta pipe.
7. His broad hat protects the lwa from the sun.
1. vodou Lwa of the temples, markets, public places, doors , gates, and roads.
2.In vodou mythology she is the wife of Loko
3. Ayzan is the protector of ritual purity and defender of morality.
4. Linked to fresh water
5.She rest in the royal palm and metiyen beni.
6.She is considered one of the most ancient lwa.
7.her veve is traced in corn or white flour.
8. Those possessed by her consume no alcohol.
Describe Danbala Wedo
1. Danbala Wedo along with Ayida Wedo were the first lwa created by God.
2. Represent conception , birth, life, family, love, sexuality, fertility , inspiration, good fortune, movement , continuity, harmony, wisdom and destiny.
3.Like white eggs.
4. When possessed servants manifest snake like movements.
5.Represented by Saint Patrick
What are the themes found in Vodou songs?
1. Importance of serving lwa
2. History / african origins of Vodou
3. Culture / organization
4. Broadly philosophy/ world view
5. nature / healing.
6. Apologetics (defense of Vodou)
7. Songs about Vodouist / Objects/ symbols
8. Family, community , spiritual family
9. Conflict and conflict resolution
10. Vodou-catholic songs
What is are the functions of Vodou songs?
1. Articulation of themes and mythology
2. Invocaiton or calling of lwa
3. Response and prayer
4. Correspond w support what is happening in ceremony
5. Leave taking or signal farewell to the lwa
6. Reproach or satire, social commentary.
What is the structure of Vodou songs?
1. Short and repeated
2. Chorus and verse. call and response Lead singer and chorus.
3. Compressed and coded.
What is Vodou initiation and its ranks?
Ranks 1. Hougan asogue, Mabo 2. ounsi sou pwen 3. ounsi kanzo semp.
Initiation - antre kanzo
Describe elements of the "antre kanzo" ceremony?
Several days of preparations. ounyo arrive and spend the day preparing for the "Antre kanzo"
they learn secrets
Describe Exili Danto
1. Mother of all Petwo lwa.
2. Dark blue attire, and red scarf
3. Symbolic role in Bwa Kayiman ceremony and the Haitian revolution and as the "mother of freedom"
4. Protects mothers and children
5.Missing tongue because french soldiers cut it out during Haitian revolution.
6.Sacrifice of black pig
7.offer he jewelry , dresses , scarves, perfume cigarrettes and rum.
ritual gesture , vaporizing mouthfuls of water, alcohol, or perfume. to consecrate ritual space.
Etmologically related to diable (devil) or sometimes reference to malicious , mean, difficult, or mischievous Vodou lwa.
good little angel; part of the human mind dedicated to thought, agency, awareness and memory
to consecrate an object or be initiated. ritual seclusion for novices undergoing the kanzo initiation.
lwa is served in the Danwonmen , petwo and rada rites. associated with bodies of water. known for healing. represented by a large crab
vodou lwa represented by storms, wind, lightning , thunder, and earthquakes. served in dan, petwo, rada rits. terrestrial and aquatic.
vodou rite and secret society, many Haitians assert that Bizango are involved in evildoing; maybe more folklore than fact
cermony ends the period of seclusion in ounsi initiation . Clay or metal pots containing ritual food consecrated to specific lwa.
August 14 1791, a prelimiinary meeting with slave leaders from more than a hundred plantation. where boukman and cecile fatimann presided over a ceremony . sacrificed a black pig
making and wearing hats composed of torn palm strips that cover the face of ounyo in ounsi initiation period
tireless general and warrior for the Haitian people who declared the independence of Haiti from france on January 1. 1804 . religious freedom
chief assistant or master of ceremonies to a Vodou priest, he carries a machette and is followed by to female assistants with a flag of ogou and the temples flag