59 Multiple choice questions
- A religion that requires you to become initiated.
- ritual protective Vodou bath or any rubbing on the body with magic liquids for health or luck
- to consecrate an object or be initiated. ritual seclusion for novices undergoing the kanzo initiation.
- 1. lwa who rules grossroads and paths, as the guardian of all entries.
2. Legba is served in the Danwonmen, Kongo, Nago, Petwo, Zando and in particular Rada rites.
3. One of the most important lwa in vodou mythology because he allows humankind to communicat with God and all other lwa.
4. Many Vodou followers identify Legba with Saint Lazarus.
5.Old man with a beard and white hair who is leaning on a crutch and whose wounds are liked by stray dogs.
6.Smokes a long terracotta pipe.
7. His broad hat protects the lwa from the sun.
- lwa of agriculture and farmers and the protector of travelers.
- sacred place where the family ancestors are buried.
- name of a dangerous lwa. criminal and bloodthirsty.
14 1791, a prelimiinary meeting with slave leaders from more than a
hundred plantation. where boukman and cecile fatimann presided over a
ceremony . sacrificed a black pig
- leaves, plants, herbs that are used for healing and ritual in vodou.
- 1. Importance of serving lwa
2. History / african origins of Vodou
3. Culture / organization
4. Broadly philosophy/ world view
5. nature / healing.
6. Apologetics (defense of Vodou)
7. Songs about Vodouist / Objects/ symbols
8. Family, community , spiritual family
9. Conflict and conflict resolution
10. Vodou-catholic songs
- represented by sea and all islands, his ship in his veve is called Imamou.
- sacred vodou initiation room into which one walks backward
- Ranks 1. Hougan asogue, Mabo 2. ounsi sou pwen 3. ounsi kanzo semp.
Initiation - antre kanzo
- refer to lwa , term used to refer to AFrica
- Several days of preparations. ounyo arrive and spend the day preparing for the "Antre kanzo"
they learn secrets
- name of lwa and a people from Kongo region and hence a part of petwo rite
- big good angel: divine particle and breath of life in all beings.
- largest of all rada drums, up to 2 meter tall
- is a burial vault
- lwa of medicinal plants and leaves who is associated with healing.Lwa of trees and forests
- good little angel; part of the human mind dedicated to thought, agency, awareness and memory
- 1. vodou Lwa of the temples, markets, public places, doors , gates, and roads.
2.In vodou mythology she is the wife of Loko
3. Ayzan is the protector of ritual purity and defender of morality.
4. Linked to fresh water
5.She rest in the royal palm and metiyen beni.
6.She is considered one of the most ancient lwa.
7.her veve is traced in corn or white flour.
8. Those possessed by her consume no alcohol.
- Etmologically related to diable (devil) or sometimes reference to malicious , mean, difficult, or mischievous Vodou lwa.
- crossroads where two paths meet. the domain of Legba.
- 1. Short and repeated
2. Chorus and verse. call and response Lead singer and chorus.
3. Compressed and coded.
- struggle between th ti bonnanj and lwa over possession of a vodouist chwal
- 1.Bawon Samdi
- lwa rides the mind like a horse . they are mounted
assistant or master of ceremonies to a Vodou priest, he carries a
machette and is followed by to female assistants with a flag of ogou and
the temples flag
- 1. Mother of all Petwo lwa.
2. Dark blue attire, and red scarf
3. Symbolic role in Bwa Kayiman ceremony and the Haitian revolution and as the "mother of freedom"
4. Protects mothers and children
5.Missing tongue because french soldiers cut it out during Haitian revolution.
6.Sacrifice of black pig
7.offer he jewelry , dresses , scarves, perfume cigarrettes and rum.
- vodou ceremonial flag or banner, symbolic decorative flag
- prefix for respected Vodou leaders
- "God" is the supreme being in Vodou
- represented by bull with three horns.
- 1. A vodou rite and lwa of life and death.
2.As decider of life and death, Gede are seen as good and bad.
3.Gede lwa are cold, when they possess people they warm themselves up by rubbing hot pepper on their bodies, faces. And drink 21 pepper infused rum.
4.White powder of their face.
5. Mischievous and obscene.
6.They are the protector of children
7.Can heal you if you are near death.
8.Called last during vodou ceremonies.
- whip used in Petwo rceremonies to attract Lwa.
- 1. Articulation of themes and mythology
2. Invocaiton or calling of lwa
3. Response and prayer
4. Correspond w support what is happening in ceremony
5. Leave taking or signal farewell to the lwa
6. Reproach or satire, social commentary.
- making and wearing hats composed of torn palm strips that cover the face of ounyo in ounsi initiation period
lwa represented by storms, wind, lightning , thunder, and earthquakes.
served in dan, petwo, rada rits. terrestrial and aquatic.
- the cross symbol in Vodou
- goblin or type of vodou spirit with negative attributes
- Cholera, epidemic broke out in 2010
- 1. Danbala Wedo along with Ayida Wedo were the first lwa created by God.
2. Represent conception , birth, life, family, love, sexuality, fertility , inspiration, good fortune, movement , continuity, harmony, wisdom and destiny.
3.Like white eggs.
4. When possessed servants manifest snake like movements.
5.Represented by Saint Patrick
- vodou rite and secret society, many Haitians assert that Bizango are involved in evildoing; maybe more folklore than fact
- vodou lwa of thunder. double headed ax
- initiation led by ougan or manbo. involves isolation and is the path to knowledge.
- to baptize
- the king of Dohomey and today a lwa. 1724
- ritual gesture , vaporizing mouthfuls of water, alcohol, or perfume. to consecrate ritual space.
is served in the Danwonmen , petwo and rada rites. associated with
bodies of water. known for healing. represented by a large crab
general and warrior for the Haitian people who declared the
independence of Haiti from france on January 1. 1804 . religious freedom
- powerful lwa and associated with storms thunder , lightning. belongs to the group Ogou.
- name of a Kongo King.
ends the period of seclusion in ounsi initiation . Clay or metal pots
containing ritual food consecrated to specific lwa.
- ritual praise acclamation of the rada rite
- highest ranked vodou initiate
- lwa of life and death and guardian of cemeteries
- hatian diaspora , is a shop of vodou supplies.